Expanded Metal is a sustainable and robust design element that was introduced in the 18th century. So, we have been using it for over a century now. What can you understand by its long service history? Well, this piece of metal should come with several benefits to last this long in the market. Yes, we can highlight several advantages of the Expanded Metal here. As well as explaining its advantages, we cover other useful topics such as the manufacturing process and metal types. Enjoy the article!
Expanded Metal at a glance: Well, we can call it a brilliant and versatile privacy screen that comes with unique advantages over wooden alternatives. Since its invention in 1880; manufacturers across the world have modified this piece of metal to what it is today. Over a hundred types are available for your specific applications today. Anyway, the manufacturing process of the Expanded Metal hasn’t changed a lot since the 18th century. Of course, the machinery and the technology have made the manufacturing process more efficient and accurate. Also, thanks to the industrial standards such as ISO, people can buy quality products from reputable manufacturers.
Minimum wastage of materials during processing is to highlight here. So, if you are someone who loves saving natural resources; this is the best material option for you. Did you know that you can expand a 1 cm metal and create an Expanded Metal that extends up to 3 cm? You can use this useful piece of material for indoor and outdoor applications, and it will serve you for years without giving any trouble. How is it possible using a metal sheet for several years in outside applications? Well, modern manufacturers use special metals that can survive harsh external factors such as sunlight, rainfall, heat, pests, and moisture. Stainless steel, copper, aluminum, and brass are the often-used metals for Expanded Metal. What do you know about these metals? Well, these metals are known for their special qualities such as corrosion-resistance, weather-resistance, chemical-resistance, high strength to weight ratio, resistance to pest infestations, and versatility. So, you can enjoy all these top benefits from metal sheets too.
The manufacturing process: As mentioned, the process was introduced in the 18th century in the UK. The UK is known for world-class steel and metal works. We, humans, can’t stretch a metal sheet. A high stretching force is required to create an Expanded Metal. So, heavy machinery is used for the manufacturing process. The pattern of the metal is determined by the knife fitted in the machine. Well, cutting and stretching occur at the same inside the machine. How can a machine stretch a metal sheet and increase its length? OK, the slits created by the machine’s knife is the secret here. Old-days machines were hand operated. Modern Expanded Metal manufacturers produce metal sheets of different thicknesses, gauges, opening sizes, and patterns. The pattern may affect the overall strength and other qualities of the metal sheet.
You got many options to choose from today. There are five main Expanded Metal categories, and the main categories can be further divided into subcategories. Standard, flattened, architectural, micro, and hexagonal are the five main metal sheet categories. Well, each type is designed to fulfill a specific application. For example, flooring requires something slip-resistive, and to fulfill this crucial requirement; the raised or the standard metal sheet type is there. As well as the metals we have explained so far, some manufacturers use bronze, alloy steel, and galvanized steel to produce their custom-made Expanded Metal. Of course, the material used may decrease or increase the production cost, so the final price of the product. OK, let’s understand the benefit of this metal piece in detail now!
1) It is a metal piece: Yes, the factor that the Expanded Metal is a metal piece, is of one of the top advantages. Metals are strong, durable, cheap, and versatile. You can compare this metal piece with a wooden alternative such as a partition. Most wooden products cannot be used for outside applications due to the inability to withstand harsh factors such as moisture, rainfall, sunlight, and pests. A metal piece, on the other hand; can resist all these harsh factors. Anyway, a suitable metal should be used here. Don’t worry! As mentioned, the Expanded Metal is produced using metals that show especial qualities. Also, metals are strong and higher strength to weight ratio when compared to wooden products. All these factors make the metal sheet a better protector (offers greater protection and security.)
* It comes as a one-piece: No welded joints. Joining points of a partition or a security fence are its weak points. Since the manufacturing stage, it is produced from one piece material (metal sheet.) So, even though it looks like a general grill; it is actually a single metal sheet that has no weak joints/points. As a result, the overall strength of the Expanded Metal is higher than woven meshes and metal grills.
* Higher strength to weight ratio: Well, we can compare it with wooden products, also with other metal options such as woven wire meshes. The Expanded Metal has the highest strength to weight ratio from all these products (wooden and metal.)
* Anti-slip properties: As mentioned, the standard type is widely used for flooring applications where slip-resistance is a must-have factor. This property makes it ideal for applications such as flooring, walkways, stair treads, and ramps. The grip it provides will protect you from hazards.
* Versatility: Materials, patterns, colors, sizes, grades, and opening sizes make this piece of metal versatile and efficient. Can you enjoy this many options with wooden products? No, right? Also, modern manufacturers now offer custom designing services. No matter your application and preferences; they can produce the right Expanded Metal type, just for you.
Some final words: Well, we should mention the price too. This useful piece of metal is cheap when compared to wooden products (after considering all the benefits.) Also, you can consider it as a long-term investment because once you install this metal piece in whatever your application; it will keep on serving you for many years. If you purchase the product from a reputable manufacturer; it will serve you for many decades without giving any troubles. Anyway, the ones that you have installed on flooring may require replacement after a certain period.
Find the best dealer in your city through online research. Well, you can contact us for more information on Expanded Metal and what we supply. Did you find this article helpful? Leave a comment then!