Hello, again! Here is the continuation of the “Cost of Attic Cleaning and Insulation Removal.” Let’s get to the point straight.
* Pest control services: Well, you may not know, but your attic may be the home for strangers, and those strangers destroy attic insulation. If you knew about the infestation, then the duration is a thing to consider. Rodents, bats, birds, squirrels, and other wildlife live in attics happily. Before the Insulation Removal, you should remove strangers living in the attic. Removing attic wildlife could be a challenge. I have seen attics full of dead wildlife and droppings. If this is your story, hiring professional cleaners is the only solution. After wildlife removal, you should take steps to prevent re-entering of the strangers. If your situation is too complicated, contact local pest prevention service for an evaluation.
* Services you may need: Depending on the condition of your attic insulation, you may need several services from different specialized companies. Below is the list:
1) Fire damage: I have seen horrific scenes of attic fires. Even though attic fires are rare, it could happen. Was your attic on fire? Well, if it is; your Insulation Removal is a complicated job. So, you should get a company that specializes in fire/smoke damage. It’s not difficult to find a company that provides such services, but you better be ready to settle additional costs.
2) Basic cleanup & restoration: This is the most common situation. As a house owner, you must be thinking of attic remodel or renovation. Do you need professional service to clean the attic? Maybe your attic is full of dust and junks. Many contractors are there to hire for restoring your attic.
3) Water ingress/damage: Water damage is a nightmare. Poor ventilation and leaky roofs are the main causes of Attic Insulation water damage. Mildew and mold growth are insulation killers. Mold/mildew growth can cause allergy, asthma, and foul odors. In the worst scenario, your contractor would have to remove all affected insulation and replace. Some houses have bathrooms fans venting to attics. If your house is having a bathroom fan, which vents to your attic, consider re-routing it.
4) Other services: You may have damaged wires, air ducts issues, and so on. It’s difficult to say what services you will need for sure. Each Insulation Removal case is different. In summary, the more services you need, more the cost.
* Insulation Removal and replacement: Make sure to hire professionals to remove old insulation. Depending on the type, Insulation Removal method would vary (industrial vacuum and special equipment required for the blown-in type.) Old insulation (Asbestos-containing) removal needs professional service. When replacing insulation, the majority of the contractor charge on the square footage. Again, depending on the insulation material type, the cost varies. Radiant barriers; spray foam insulation; fiberglass batt insulation; blown cellulose insulation, are the popular types.
* Disposing fees: Local dustman won’t take removed insulation for you. The company you hired may provide disposing services, but in the case of asbestos presence; they can charge you extra.
Summary: The price tag is not the only thing to consider. Insulation Removal and replacement can be a long-term investment for many house owners. It would enhance your home’s energy efficiency. Before you hire a company, check whether they have appropriate licenses and authorizations.